16.1.11

READINGS #1

So my attempt at 100 book this summer was somewhat adventurous and I underestimated the amount of time I have left in a day after working, sleeping, and having the will to do absolutely nothing. So the count is somewhere between 1 and 10 thus far and I'm thinking maybe just aim for 100 for the year, including the last month or two of last year and not much was read then anyway.


Here's my readings and ratings of the books so far :)


1. Vixen by Jillian Larkin




rating; 6/10

reasons; i picked up this book because I love the 1920's and stories of flappers. This was extremely entertaining though and easy read due to the simplistic writing. Although that's in comparison to works such as Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. The complexity of their lives and the love of the lifestyle made me wish that I myself could be there living in that time rather then my own.

likelihood of reading again; very high







2. Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

rating; 5/10

reasons; the pull of circus lifestyle and writings from a past era caused me to read this. Was good for something to dabble in while lying on the beach as there is no need for thinking. The jump between former as past times of a mans life was rather interesting but lack of mystery or hidden elements made it almost too easy. However, still a great book if you're looking for something interesting and an adorable love story to pass the time.



likelihood of reading again; ish






3. Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chelalier

rating; 7/10

reasons; I'd heard of this novel many times and thought it would be an interesting read. Also, I've been tending to read things of older nature as a form of research for my own novel where I'm trying to incorporate stories from each era. A beautifully written story where the pull of an unattainable man can probably be felt by any woman reading it.

likelihood of reading again; high







4. The Last Living Slut by Roxana Shirazi

rating; 8/10

reasons; Stuck in the Melbourne airport for hours I was in the mood for a Biography and in the limited airport stores I stumbled upon this. A mixture of the dirty life of rock and roll and the struggles of a girl in Iran as the government ruins lives. Extremely, extremely interesting to read about and understand Iran, and equally interesting being shown what happens with rockstars back stage. Not a book a young child should be reading, or in public, as I had to hide chapter titles from those sitting around me. Had to keep reminding myself that it was real, and an authors note on the modern use of the world slut was great, a diverging piece of writing trying to force a positive meaning on something used in such a constantly degrading way.

likelihood of reading again; very high



Unfortunately I must now venture off into my jungle of a room in an attempt to clean, as in four weeks I must move! Will continue with my reading adventures soon :)

C;x

No comments:

Post a Comment